Sunday, May 29, 2005

don't leave me to pick up on your questions

The posting will be considerably less frequent now that I am at home, for the simple reason that my life is simpler, less varied, and more monotonous. This is not necessarily a bad thing - at moments, I really appreciate the quiet clean-ness (and no, I don't mean cleanliness) of the air and the people. I might not be amongst the most intellectually stimulating group of people at all times, but they're so unassuming here in my little town. People say what they think and they're always nice to me in a way that isn't condescending or mean or stuck up. I don't think I could ever live here, but at times, it's really nice to be a temporary resident.

I'm also so proud of going back to the coffee shop every time I go! Honestly, most of us were convinced when we started it up that it would fold within about 6 months, and it's now been open for over two years. Which isn't to say that it's exactly financially thriving or anything, but it's still up and running, which is definitely amazing and cool. It's fun going back in and remembering all of the work we put into it and being able to think, "I painted that wall and varnished that table and pulled down the wall that used to be there." It's rewarding in a small way.

Work is...well...work. There doesn't seem to be nearly as much drama around the place as there was last year, which is certainly a relief, since I think I've had enough drama recently to last me for quite a long time, and I did get a raise. And a key. Getting a key, that's pretty big. I don't think Maxine trusts hardly anybody enough to give them a key, so that's cool.

It was SO unbelievably wonderful to hang out with Krystle this week. It's been a few days now, but I was so glad to see her. We watched "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and she had dinner here with my family and then we went to see "Kicking and Screaming." Which wasn't quite as funny as I'd hoped it would be, but it most surely had a few good moments. Krystle, in case you can't tell, is my movie buddy. We see lots and lots of movies together - good, bad, and ugly. It just what we do. I'm thinking perhaps we should have our first sleepover of the year tonight since I don't work tomorrow and maybe I can get together with Mary sometime tomorrow afternoon...that would be a pretty much perfect day. I really need to get some more unpacking and cleaning done. I've done virtually none whatsoever. I seem to have lost my will to live in any sort of organized fashion - I barely do enough laundry to have clean and decent work outfits ready. Hmm. Something to work on.

Ever since I started working full-time in the summer last year, my respect for my parents has increased like tenfold. Not that I didn't respect them before, but now I come home from work and all I want to do is a whole lot of nothing. How they ever came home from 9-10 hour days and then made sure that my brother and I had dinner, were fed, clothed, etc. is totally beyond my comprehension. I guess you do what you have to do, but I'm having serious doubts about my capabilities as a parent. Ever.

I'm going to the Cities (does anyone else think it's pretentious of Minnesotans to refer to St. Paul/Minneapolis as "the Cities," as if there are no other cities??) on Wednesday night and coming back up to Staples on Friday morning to get to work by 2 p.m. So if you're living down there and would like to see me, give me a call and we'll work something out. I also need a place to stay....

I think that covers it for now. I also think now would be a really good time to take a nap, since my parents and Hanna have not yet returned from her co-graduation party. Yesssss.

No comments: