Thursday, May 19, 2005

home again

There are so many things I hate about moving. It's inconvenient at best, and usually overwhelming. And that's just me speaking about moving out of a dorm room. What will I do if I ever have a real apartment or home? I'm going to have to learn to be much less materialistic and much more streamlined in my lifestyle if I ever intend to be fully mobile.
I've been home about an hour and my mom is already driving me a little bit crazy. She is sometimes very bad at really listening. She talked almost the whole way home. And when she sings along to the radio, it drives me crazy (though, to be fair, in all probability, I inherited my singing voice from her). So in an attempt to get her to not do that, I usually try to involve her in conversation whenever there's a song on that I happen to like. But tonight she would have none of it. I'd try to tell her about my Shakespeare final or about my week or something and she'd just start telling me a story about her kids (the ones she teaches). Perhaps it's narcissistic of me to assume that she would want to hear all about how my week has been, but I would have liked to have discussed it and she just would not listen. Not that she doesn't have stories to tell. I just felt like even when I did talk for a few brief moments, she wasn't listening. She was sort of hearing what I said, but not really LISTENING. And I don't like that. There's such an enormous gap between hearing and listening. One that I think we fail to bridge much too often.
I don't know what to do with all my books from this year. My bookshelves have been overflowing for years, and now I think I'm going to have to just keep them boxed up because there is nowhere else in my room to put them at all. I should learn to let go and get rid of some of them, probably, but I'm doubtful of that happening.
Ahhhh, what a relief it is to have space, though! I think living in such closer quarters as a dorm room is wearing on anyone and any relationship. Having my basement back is almost overwhelming in its light and space and airiness. I know, you think, airiness? In a basement? 'Tis true, my friends. Those of you who've been to my house know that it's built into a hill, so only part of the basement is actually a basement, and my room has gloriously large windows facing west.
Golly, I'm going to miss Mal and Mel. I do already. Hmm. This could be a problem.
That's all I've got for tonight.

No comments: