Saturday, May 07, 2005

it's coming

I can feel the end of the year creeping up on me. Actually, it's not so much creeping as letting me know that it's approaching. It's very strange to think that in two weeks, I'll be halfway through with my college career. I should really be at the Oracle office right now, writing an editorial. But I have no good ideas. Or maybe that's an excuse and I'm just being really lazy. But no, that's not it either. I don't really feel qualified to write an editorial, to be honest. I am not a very good writer, except academically, and I don't know if I feel comfortable speaking for the Oracle staff, either. Hmm. I don't know. I am really going to have to work on my confidence issues, especially if I'm going to be a news editor next year and have people working under me. First I just have to figure out what the heck I'm doing.
My roommate has a real gift for complaining. I guess I do, too, but her stories go on and on and on. I'm like a guy on the phone right now, not really listening and saying "mm-hmm. mm-hmm." She's going on right now about some girl from her high school who she doesn't like - it was high school. I'm sorry but by now I think it's time to let most of that stuff go. Man, I HATED middle and most of high school but it's done now. I used to care so much but I just don't anymore. I have better things to worry about, I think. Which isn't to say that the way I felt at those times doesn't ever still affect me or matter to me, but I'm not hung up on it anymore. What's done is done in that respect. I should work on being a better friend, too. I am too selfish and I should work on that.
So many things to work on, so many things that suddenly seem important to be better at. For once, they're all not related to school. I've decided people skills are more important.
I'm starting to think this is actually going to be a good summer. I want to have many adventures, especially with Krystle. I want to read about a zillion books (I'm going to have to make a list and prioritize it, I think), listen to tons of new music, and be happier again. That's pretty much it. I may or may not get a second job as well. I probably ought to, but I will have to call the resort this week and see what they'll be paying me and what my hours will be. I know I'll be full-time, I just need to know which days I'll be working when and such.
Know what I hate? When people hear like ONE song by an artist that they like and then go around proclaiming "Oh, I just LOVE so-and-so!!! He's soooo amazing." When the truth is, they don't know if they like that band or guy or not because they've only heard one song, which may or may not be typical of that artist's style. I don't know what made me think of that. But I don't like it.
Last night I went to the Fulcrum release party/reading/whatever thing with Brian and Sean. It was a pretty good time; the snacks and coffee were good and I really enjoyed seeing some people. Like Lauren, who's always fun to see, and the Huellers, and Anne Claussen and Caro. They're all such nice people and are so fun and relaxing to talk with. I really enjoyed seeing them and having some good old-fashioned English major nerd conversation.
Anyway. I should get going and finish packing up some stuff. My parents had to go to Des Moines last night so they dropped off some boxes for me to pack up a bunch of my stuff and I'm almost done. It's weird, starting to pack up and knowing that I'll leave this little room in Manor. I find that I'm strangely attached to room 105. It's been my home for a year of more turbulence and ups and downs than any other that I have known, I think. And on that note, I'm off to pack up some more stuff.

No comments: