Wednesday, April 13, 2005

turnaround

I woke up crabby this morning only to find that it was impossible to stay so. Today was a rare and amazing day, in which everything seemed so bright and so beautiful that it was utterly impossible for me to be angry about anything.
The first good thing (and slightly scary thing) was that I found out today that I was a finalist in a statewide undergraduate Shakespeare competition and that I will be presenting my paper next weekend at a conference at the U of M, and my friend Lauren (who's in my Shakespeare class) WON the contest, which is lovely and amazing! I am so excited for her and glad that we will be at the conference together. Now that the initial excitement has worn off, I'm a little scared, because there are some major scholars/speakers there (from Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia, etc.) and I can't help thinking that I'll either totally screw up in the presentation of my paper or that everyone there will just be thinking, "This piece of crap was a finalist?" But I am, nonetheless, happy, because I rather liked the essay I wrote that was submitted even though I ought to have spent more time on it. I think I really am the most unbelievably nerdy English nerd in the world to be so very excited and nervous about this, but hey, that's me.
The second good thing was just the weather and overall mood of the day. Today was the perfect mixture of sunshine and happiness and flowers and tree buds and clean, spring scent. The entire campus - nay, the entire world - seemed too beautiful and untainted today for me to be upset about anything. These days, it ought to be noted, come very few and far between for me. Usually, I can't stop thinking about all of the things that are wrong and terrible and injust in the world. But days like today seem to just about make up for the two hundred or so days in between. All I could think today was, "God is so, so good!" Because He really IS, I think, and I forget that all too often, because there are so many non-good things that happen so frequently to so many people.
I also had my interview for the Oracle for next year today. I'm a bit nervous at the thought of being a news editor, but I think I could handle it. Not that there's any certainty whatsoever that I'll get the position, of course, but I think I have a fairly good shot at it. And I would, quite frankly, be happy in any editing position (except, perhaps, sports) as long as I could keep working there because as much as I hate the late nights and begging people to write stuff sometimes, I do love the people and atmosphere, and it's good experience, as well.
Lena and I keep promising one another that we won't get married for years because we cannot imagine doing it at this stage of life and are terrified we'll be the only single ones left soon. Haha, not really, but at times...well, I'll just leave it at that. It's a fun bargain, anyway, and at least we have someone to be single with all teh time, even if we live hours and hours apart from one another. That's okay. Friendship knows no bounds, my friends. I don't know where that corny line came from. I thought I had rid myself of cliches by now, but clearly, there is yet work to be done.
Speaking of which, I really must go eat something and get some physics out of the way or else I will absolutely choke when it comes time for my exam on Friday. Have a lovely night, all.

No comments: