Monday, November 14, 2005

every day i love you less and less.

There's a title that goes out to Hamline. Not really. There are still a million things I love about Hamline (lots of students and some pretty amazing professors) - but administrative issues have been rather frustrating for me lately.
Aside from my recent difficulties with them, it applies to my registration efforts this morning.
WHY wouldn't piperline let me register for senior seminar? I have over 92 credits, and I've taken English 3020 and 3000-level + classes. But it tells me that I need the instructor's signature. So I had to e-mail Prof. Deffenbacher, ask her to e-mail some other guy in the registration department telling him that it's okay for me to take the darn class. And then I was told by the system that I was only registered as a half-time student, since I couldn't register for Senior Sem, so I registered for British Lit instead. Which means that once I get into Senior Seminar, I better not forget to go back and drop British Lit.
It's lovely being able to register this early though. I must confess I'm a fan. I didn't have any problems anywhere; in fact, there isn't a single course that's already full, not even Biology of Women, which I briefly contemplated taking, but decided to take Biodiversity and Cons and - oh! How did that happen? I somehow just dislodged the "0" button from the top of the keyboard. Um, I'll just stick it back on there. So it's a little crooked. It'll still work. I think. Until it falls off again, anyway.
But I digress. Anyway I decided to take Biodiversity and Conservation Bio, and leave the Biology of Women spot open for a Women's Studies major or something instead. I'll also be taking my first philosophy class with the famous (infamous?) Stephen Kellert, to which I look forward with anticipation, and then of course Crossing Borders II.
I have finally navigated my way around the sound block on these computers so I can now gleefully listen to music online again. I will say that much for myspace - it has been my savior as far as music goes these last few days. I brought a bunch of cds with me, but you know, you can only listen to them so many times at once, no matter how much you love them. So I'm very happy to have access to myspace music and purevolume once more.
I've been in an inexplicably good frame of mind. Not that I've been all cheery and bubbly - but these last few days I've just felt calmer with myself than I have in a really long time. It's kind of a relief.
It was a beautiful morning here - cold and crisp and brisk but everthing coated with a thing lovely layer of frost. I think I'm about the only person who saw it though. People really really REALLY like to sleep in here. No one is seen on weekends until at least noon; usually more like one or two pm. And everyone thinks having a 9.15 class is just the absolute worst luck in the world. I'm falling into that habit, too. It's getting harder for me to pull myself out of bed in the mornings and I'm going to bed later. It's not a good pattern to fall into! I've never been much of an early morning person, but I do like to be up reasonably early. When I'm back at Hamline, I'll have things pretty easy schedule-wise, too. Just a Tuesday/Thursday class at 9:40 and otherwise my earliest class is, um, a 10:20 lab on Wednesday and then 12:50, and two night clases - yuck. I'd rather have a 9:15 than a night class but oh well.
I got my first philosophy paper back today and I realized I don't really get how their scoring system works here. I got a 64, which at first about gave me a heart attack, but then my neighbour, Irina, said that's a good mark and well done me. So I looked in the handbook and scores between 60-69 are generalized as being 'Very good work that is well-structured and which accurately presents philosophical views and problems, which shows a good solid grasp of the main elements of the philosophical debate, and which shows an ability to exercise philosophical judgment.'
So I think that would be equivalent to something in the B-range, possibly perhaps? Which is usually about what I get on philosophy papers at home. But I really don't even know. I'm still a little worried because that was an easy topic and the second paper will probably require a better grasp of the material, which I'm not sure I have! I really do not follow this metaphysics stuff. I think I'm just stupid in that area of philosophy. Some of it, I admit, I just think is ridiculous. But there are other giant sections I just cannot follow. Man. I hate feeling stupid.

No comments: