Sunday, July 16, 2006

thoughts on marriage. and babies. and stuff.

So last night I went to a bachelorette party. It was not your typical bachelorette party. And I did have fun, and it was great to see the bride-to-be (since I haven't seen her in months), but I also had some issues.
Three of the people there were pregnant, a couple were already married or engaged, and some of them seemed to think that I was absolutely crazy for not wanting this life for myself right now. Which led me to begin questioning things - like, is there something wrong with me that I have absolutely NO desire for any of those things yet?
I like to think that I'm a reasonably mature person, capable of great responsibility and caring. But at the same time, the idea of permanently attaching myself to another human being at this point in my life seems not only terrifying but crazy. I feel like I'm still going to be changing and forming myself so much as a person that making that decision would be a very poor decision right now.
Is it enlightened or selfish for me to want to do more? Is it snobbery for me to think, "that's not enough for me right now"? Yes, marriage is something I most definitely want in my life someday, and maybe kids, too. But is it so unusual for me to want adventures first? I want to work and move and travel and go to grad school - and those things can happen in a marriage, I suppose, but what I really want is a life of my own first. I want time to get to know myself and have my own independent life and adventures first. Not that marriage wouldn't be an adventure, I suppose, it would be. But it would mean the end of a lot of other opportunities that I'm really interested in, too.
I think I've just convinced myself that I am clearly doing what's best for me right now. But I hate that LOOK I sometimes get, that look that says I'm either crazy or selfish for being so disinterested in marriage. I'm only 21, for goodness' sake, and I know so many people who are getting married and engaged and having kids, and I cannot imagine myself in that position right now, not at all. Going home and to family holidays is always interesting that way too. The question never fails to arise - "So, are you seeing anyone special right now? How's that going?" etc. etc. Sometimes this question arises before and more frequently than questions about college and academics, and that puzzles me. I moved to St. Paul for school, not to meet a husband. But in small-town Minnesota and a large Catholic-raised extended family, those things often don't seem to be all that important. It's marriage and kids that take first place. And it makes me frustrated. I'd like for people to care and get as excited about my summer research as I am, but they often don't want to hear it. They just want to know if I'm headed in the same life path that so many of my classmates have already begun to follow.
And for the record, I AM seeing someone. But only very casually. And it's not likely to get serious any time soon, and I'm pretty happy about that. So there. Haha.
Well, this was cathartic.

No comments: