Thursday, September 01, 2005

fair food & friends

So today is September first. I'm really happy about that. It means that not only am I just over a month away from boarding a plane to England, I am also only 2 1/2 weeks away from being finished working at the resort for-EVER! At least I hope so. I told Steph that if I was back there last year it was only because I'd been kidnapped and brainwashed into believing that I wouldn't die if I spent another summer in central MN.

I was in the cities for a couple of days for Oracle training and such. Malin, my little muffin pie, if you are reading this, I am so very thankful you were there. It was WEIRD. Parts of it were really good - the people from the Strib who came in were awesome and really nice and helpful, but it felt awkward to be in that office trying to work without Brian and Graham and especially without Manney. I think part of me still looks for him to shuffle through that office door in a sweater and rumpled hair. Ciara brought up the time we met with the Collective, and most of us were trying to be really diplomatic and everything, and then Manney just came out with, "Well, I guess we just suck." I suppose that's only funny to a couple of people but it made me smile. I felt better about how things are going to go this year, though. I think we connect as a group really quite well, and despite some differences and changes, I think I saw for the first time that really things will be fine. It just felt so strange for me at times I was glad to have Malin there. We always seem to wind up being together in our awkwardness.

Another fun thing that happened was that Malin and I spent our first night in our new house there at the same time. I mean, it's not really "our" house because we won't be living in it at the same time but it made me happy that we were there together. The bedroom is really really tiny but it's a nice-ish sort of place and will be quite comfortable overall, I think.

AND last but not least, I went to the state fair with Mel & Mal & Phil. Good times full of disgustingly unhealthy yet extremely tasty food. Cheese curds, a nutella crepe, a bucket of cookies....mmm. It was so nice for Mel & Mal & I to be together again! We haven't all three been together since the beginning of June and all the passed time didn't seem to make one single bit of difference. Hurrah! Plus it was cool to see Phil before he left for Russia, which he did yesterday, I believe. It was a very good night. It wasn't really exuberant or chaotic or anything, but I felt so content. Friends are of incomparable value on so many levels, especially friends with whom you can be silly and honest with at the same time.

It's a good thing, actually, that I have to keep on working. I seem to be racking up bills faster than I can pay them somehow.

I had something else to say but I can't remember anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the fair was so so good!

and about that house - i don't think i've been there alone yet - but maybe i have. i've been away like crazy.

i miss you lass and look forward to seeing you again

^mal

Anonymous said...

So lady, I guess this means our captivating chats are coming to an end; I remember how expensive net time is in England. I hope you'll keep in touch via email though, since I'll be leaving for Maryland with Americorps before you come back from Éireann. light_bearer@hotmail.com

If you're in the cities before you go, let me know. I just moved in with Luis pretty close to Hamline.

Aleks