Tuesday, August 02, 2005

trivial pursuits

My days are passing into one another without much to distinguish them from one another. I am mostly just killing time until I get everything finalized for England and I just can't wait to pack up and leave. It's not like I think it's going to allow me to like, "start over" or something like that, but it will be new and fresh and different, and will force me to be outside of myself for a little while, which is definitely a good thing. I'm really frustrated with this one stupid form that I have to get sent in. I've talked to about four different people about who should sign in and stuff and everyone keeps sending me elsewhere, but I think I've got it figured out. It's a financial guarantee form. I have no idea why York is making me fill it out, because Hamline guarantees them payment and Hamline bills ME, so York doesn't have to worry in the least about getting paid, but I guess they want some guarantee that I have funds to pay for stuff. Good thing I've been saving this summer.
Work is work. Every day is different but somehow the same. I'm very afraid of sinking into apathy again, but I don't think that will happen. I had a rough week or so the last few days but I think I'm coming out of it. I swear I'm so up-and-down I never know how I"m going to be doing/feeling from one day to the next, but I see a steady clearing of skies ahead, I think, which is a nice thought. Yesterday was the very nicest day I've had in a long while.
I met up with Caitlin, who I haven't seen since May at her graduation party. For the many of you who don't know Caitlin, well, she's hard to describe. She's just the loveliest girl and she is still filled with wonder and love for the world, which is just so incredibly refreshing. And I'm constantly surprised to learn that she looks up to me because in so many ways, I think she is such a good role model. We are, of course, fundamentally different in many ways (she is a much nicer person than I am and also so beautiful) and I feel so relaxed around her. It was good for me.
Anyway, she works at Culver's so we met there and talked for an hour or so, and then we got custard - I had a hot fudge/marshmallow sundae (so good. go try one. RIGHT NOW) and we went to Gregory Park, which is one of my favorite places in Brainerd, and ate our ice cream sitting on the tree that grows sideways and makes a perfect bench. As it happened, the guy who took my senior pictures was doing a family photo shoot and this family had 4 extremely nice looking boys, which only added to the enjoyment of our ice cream and the sunshine. Then we went out to Caitlin's grandmother's house over on Rice Lake. It's the cutest house, full of all these neat antiques, and they have the sweetest boathouse. It's this little like half-circle shaped building with lots of useful lake-related stuff inside. We took the canoe out to the middle of the lake and then jumped in and swam and talked and floated for about two hours or so, I think. We had the bright idea to swim all the way back to the house, pushing/pulling the canoe, but we only made it halfway before giving it up. It was just such a relaxing enjoyable day. Yay for friends and sunshine and swimming. I'm delighted to actually have a hint of a tan instead of just being really pasty.
The sky is a very weird color right now outside my window. It's this dark pinky-orangey color that makes it look as though it's going to storm. I wish it would. I love a good thunderstorm and I sure wouldn't mind it if the air cleared out for awhile. It's been so hot and humid lately. Yechhh.
I never know how to end blog entries. So this one's ending.

No comments: