Friday, October 27, 2006

onward, to familiarity

I'm with my Oracle peeps in St. Louis. I don't even know what I'd do without these kids; they are amazing. I can honestly say that my life would be very, very different without them. I love them all to death, and my life is better, richer, and much more fun because of their presence.

I've been having a bit of a hard time lately. I've turned a corner, but I still feel like being alone now shouldn't be this hard. I feel like I should be doing a little bit better than I am, and I am still just really struggling with my life as is. I shouldn't because it's really pretty good, but there's still a part of my heart that's a little (sometimes it feels like a lot) bruised and battered. But things are mending, slowly but surely.

Being here while the World Series is going on is pretty fantastic. We're staying right downtown by the Arch, so we're really close to the stadium. We have plans to wander that way later tonight, maybe heckle a few people, maybe see if Tom starts rooting through a bum's stuff again tonight, etc. etc. I wish the weather were a bit warmer. We brought 16 people to conference this year, which has to be a record, and that's after cutting down the list a tad. We thought we'd be able to bring everyone, because usually only around 8 people can even make it, but for some reason this year we're all just here.

The conference is definitely not as beneficial for me as it once was. There were some good sessions still, but most of them are not tailored to copy editors and most of them are for people with slightly less experience. That makes me sound pretentious. It's not meant that way; it's just that these sessions are largely for people who just haven't had the chances to work with the people that I have and get some of the experiences that I've been lucky enough to have. That still sounds kind of pretentious. Oh well.

It's been a really fun weekend. There will be photo documentation at a later date. There's one I especially love of Malin and I rocking out to the Cure on her iPod. I might have to break down and get me one of those one of these days. It would be nice to have.

Anyway. Time for the evening's activities to commence. This is a really lame blog. Sorry to waste your time.

No comments: