Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I have arrived

Well, the day has come. And gone, actually; this is the end of my first full day in York.

Getting here was quite interesting. My 8 hour flight, express train to Victoria Station, tube from Victoria to Kings Cross, train from Kings Cross to York, and cab ride to this hostel where I sit took a lot out of me. But the city is beautiful and although the streets make no sense (I kind of miss the straight blocks of Minneapolis and for those of you who think St. Paul's streets are backward, you have no idea. Trust me) the city isn't too terribly hard to navigate it. As those of you who know me well will recall, my sense of direction is positively abysmal. But by the end of the day, I feel I'm really starting to know my way around a bit and although it's a fairly big city, it's relatively compact, especially in and near the city centre.

I walked out to the University today. I passed the place where I will be living and it is awesome. I love it, at least on the outside. I didn't have time to really explore any of the University grounds yet, but I think I'll probably do that tomorrow. I certainly still have plenty of time to work on that. Also tomorrow, and don't laugh! I'm totally going to sign up for a library card.

I really do adore the city. It is so beautiful here. A little chilly but that's something of a welcome change from the resurgence of heat and humidity we were experiencing in the cities. There are tons of ruins and churches and grounds that are just gorgeous. I haven't taken many pictures yet, because I know in the long run I'll care far more about the people I will (hopefully) eventually meet rather than the scenery, but there have been a few worth taking so far and I hope to get those up sometime fairly soon, but I can't at this computer.

Anyway, my time here is running out quickly so I had better get going, but I'm alive and well and comfortable at any rate.

Also! For the many of you that haven't, SEND ME YOUR ADDRESSES!!! I have postcards to send. Well, I mean, I don't yet. But I will, soon, and I truly do want to send them, so you all get on that.

1 comment:

Brian Voerding. said...

Brian
528 Maceman St. #303
Winona MN 55987